Monday 25 June 2018

LEARN ABOUT HANOI'S CRAFT BEER WITH HOMIE BREWERY



The meeting between Brian & Thanh

Last weekend, we had a chance to meet up with Mr. Thanh, The owner of Homie Brewery, to discuss about craft beer in the past, present and future as well as the way led him to be one of the really first Vietnamese brewmasters in Vietnam. 

During our conversation, Thanh shared that "I used to work as an IT architect for many years until one day in 10 years ago, I lay on the floor, I asked my wife what should I do to try to make a better future. For a while after that he saw Hanoi Beer sign on the TV and I was thinking of an idea  to start up my own business". At first, he learnt about the beer by searching the internet and his foreign friends and then decided to open the Beer Temple. "It is always difficult for the beginning. we worked at the start of opening of the beer temple;  and nearly 6 months to 1 year, we only had a few clients to come to our shop. It was very hard to try to change the people mind but we made it and two years we were starting to be popular. Original shop was just take away, but the Hanoian clients change my shop to now what it is now today. Locals often come here for a company party, birthday party or even a friends meeting."



Beers at the Beer Temple

So the question that we wonder is where did Thanh leant about craft beer?
During 80s-90,  when he grew up, everything that we had in Hanoi is Bia Hoi Hanoi (fresh Hanoi beer) or some imported beer like Czech beer or Czech style and people had no idea about craft beer. follow up our question, Thanh answered: "4 years ago, I travelled to Saigon and met up with friends. They offered me to try some craft beers. For the first taste of craft beer, I felt in love with it from the bottom of my heart.Then came back to Hanoi, I tried to learn as much as I can about the craft beer. A while later, I decided to order the systems to set up the brewing. Almost one year after that I founded my first child Hanoi IPA. To make this first beer I have tried with 5-6 different recipes and finally I made it. This was the most happy day in my life."


The first Hanoi IPA

Thanh shared: "Beer’s in my blood, no seriously. It started out of love. I wasn’t really business-minded with the brewing, it was just something I enjoyed doing. It meant that I am working with my passion and my happiness". 
After 3 years of brewing, Homie always has 2 craft beer on tap: Hanoi IPA- an American IPA and Cam Wit. He also brew some seasonal craft beer like strong beer in the winter time to help curb the cold. 
Thanh spoke in his big smile: "I do think that I'm a lucky guy beacause I always have a big support from my wife (my big boss). She is always by my side, supports and encourages me from the beginning till now and in the future!". 

A Taste of Hanoi would like to say thank you so much to Thanh for such a great sharing! We do hope that you will have such a great development and be successful in their business as well as changing people mind and thinking about craft beer here in Hanoi, Vietnam.





This post made by A Taste of Hanoi, a tour operation base in Hanoi. We are running The Original Craft Beer Tour of Hanoi; Food Walking Tours; Motorbike Tours and One Night Tour in Hanoi. To learn more about our tours please visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment

VIETNAM CURRENCY Have you ever travel or planed for a trip to Vietnam? What do you know about our currency?  Let us share you someth...